Mario's Official Artwork
|Original Debut||Donkey Kong (1981)|
|Smash Bros. Debut||Super Smash Bros.|
|Brawl Tier||G (31)|
|Smash Bros. Information|
|3DS / Wii U||Starter|
|Up Move||Super Jump Punch|
|Down Move|| Mario Tornado|
|Final Smash||Mario Finale|
The famous plumber from the Mushroom Kingdom, originally known as Jumpman, is a Super Smash Bros. All-Star, making an appearance in all of the games in the series thus far.
 Super Smash Bros.
“Although best known as the mustachioed plumber who battles the Turtle Tribe with his distinct jumping action, this internationally-famous hero has also acted as a referee, a driver, and even a doctor! He’s been linked to Princess Peach of Mushroom Kingdom for years, but to this day their true relationship remains a mystery. Mario is a well rounded character with no major weaknesses, but not major strengths. He is great for new players.”
 Super Smash Bros. Melee
Mario is the most famous plumber in all the Mushroom Kingdom. He made his name thwarting the evil plans of the Koopa King, Bowser, and saving Princess Peach from his clutches. Blessed with superhuman jumping ability and possessing enough strength to shatter bricks with his bare hands, Mario is the game’s most well-rounded character. He doesn’t have any particular faults, although at the same time, he does not particularly excel in any one aspect, making him a perfect character for beginners.
 Role in SSE
Mario plays the biggest role in the Subspace Emissary. The game starts off with him and Kirby battling in an arena together in front of an audience that includes Princess Zelda and Princess Peach. Whoever is the winner revives the loser and right after the Halberd shows up and sends Primids down to fight Mario, Kirby, Princess Zelda and Princess Peach who join in. After the battle the Ancient Minister makes an appearance with the Subspace Bomb. Mario being the hero he is, tries to stop it but is hit by a cannonball and sent off in the distance were he would later meet with Pit. Their goal then would be to destroy the Subspace Army. Mario and Pit would join forces with Link and Yoshi after doing battle against one another. Kirby would also join after reviving Mario and Pit(or Link and Yoshi depending on how your story goes). They would follow the cart into a tunnel to were it leads to King Dedede's castle and the Halberd behind it. Mario and Pit would try to save the princess that Wario took from Bowser but would arrive to late. Next time they would be seen is when the Ancient Minister tries for another bomb and Team Mario goes on the attack but barely manage to escape. Team Mario would then join up with Ice Climbers, Marth, Ike, Lucas and Pokemon Trainer in their fight against the Army. After that they would join up with more heroes to take on Ganondorf's ship that appeared out of the Subspace and take it down before entering the Subspace themselves were they would then meet with Tabuu.
- All Around Character
- Forward Air Spike
- Cape reflects projectiles
- F.L.U.D.D. Cape disrupts recovery
- Most attacks have little lag
- Great juggler
- Aerials combo easily
- Excellent Edge-guarder
- Fsmash has a sweetspot
- Many combo's
- Good offensive/defensive player
- Moves lacks range
- Recovery can be gimped easily
- Juggled easily
- Mario Tornado got replaced with F.L.U.D.D. (Although, the Mario Tornado can still be used by pressing Down A attack while aerial).
- Mario is fairly light, and can get sent flying around the 90%'s.
Most of Mario's combos are used for only low percentages, but some can be used at higher percentages depending on the weight of the opponent.
Utilt combo: Utilt>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt OR Utilt>Utilt>Utilt>Uair. With some characters, you'll only get 3 hits in, but can be set up for some Uairs if your quick enough. Uair combo: Uair>Uair>Bair>Bair Bair combo: Bair>Bair Dthrow combo: Dthrow>Uair>Uair OR Dthrow>Utilt>Utilt/Uair Uthrow combo: Uthrow>Utilt>Utilt>Utilt/Uair. This combo could be called a string, because after the throw, your opponent needs to move backwards, or you need to back up to get them caught in the Utilts. Approach combo: Short-Hop>Fireball>Nair>Short-Hop>Nair. This is quite tricky to pull off, too. It should only be used if your opponent is camping a certain area, and you need a way to approach.
Gone with the wind: Approach with aerials, and fireballs. A great way to get near your opponent safely is to use fireballs while in the air, and come down on them with a Dair. When your coming down in the air, you should try and land behind them, close or far. This cancels out a good chance of them grabbing you.
Ground-out: Using your fireballs is essential for this. You approach through ground, while using fireballs and cape if you need to for preventing projectiles from harming you. Set up with Fthrows or Bthrows, and get use your Neutral A and Ftilt for short-knockback.
 Cape and Fludd
These two moves should be your top-priority anti-recover moves. The cape reverses the opponents direction, and can be used before or after your opponents recovery move to change the direction they go, often destroying their recovery in general.
Fludd is used to push back your opponent, which also disrupts recovery. You can use Fludd if your opponent has a vertical-only recovery to push them back far enough to be killed (ie Ike, Kirby).
These two moves *if used right, can be the deadliest in the game. They can kill people at any percentage, but often used in higher percentages after your opponent is knocked off the stage.
The best way to use these two moves is to use the Cape before your opponent tries his recovery move, and then use Fludd if they still have a chance of recovering. It can also be used the other way, to force an opponent off stage and then cape their recovery.
 Game Appearances
- Donkey Kong (Arcade)
- Donkey Kong (Game & Watch) Game & Watch, ColecoVision)
- Donkey Kong Jr. (Arcade, Game & Watch)
- Donkey Kong 2 (Game & Watch)
- Mario's Cement Factory (Game & Watch)
- Mario's Bombs Away (Game & Watch)
- Mario Bros. (Arcade)
- Punch Out!! (Arcade) Mario appears in the audience
- Super Mario Bros. (Famicom/NES)
- Wrecking Crew (Famicom/NES) stars Mario
- Golf (NES) features a fat version of Mario.
- Tennis (NES) Mario is the referee
- Pinball (NES) (NES) Mario is found in the bonus stage
- Super Mario Bros. Special
- Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Famicom)
- Vs. Super Mario Bros. (Arcade)
- All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (Famicom)
- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Famicom/NES) Boxing referee.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
- Kaettekita Mario Bros. (Famicom Disk System) - Japan only known in the USA as "Return of Mario Bros."
- Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
- 2-in-1 Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt (NES)
- Alleyway (Game Boy) Appears in bonus level
- Super Mario Land (GB)
- Tetris (NES) Once player beats Level 9 Height 5, Mario and friends appear.
- Tetris (GB) Mario and Luigi appear in 2-player game.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (Famicom/NES)
- Dr. Mario (NES & GB)
- VS. Dr. Mario (Arcade)
- 3-in-1 Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet(NES)
- Mario the Juggler (Game & Watch)
- Mario Teaches Typing (PC)
- F-1 Race (GB) Mario appears when you win a race, waving the checkered flag and congratulating you.
- Super Mario World (Super Famicom/SNES)
- NES Open Tournament Golf (NES)
- Yoshi (GB)
- Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up (PC)
- Super Scope 6 (SNES) Mario flys by in a plane whenever you got to a certain point in one of the games
- Super Mario USA AKA Super Mario Bros 2 (Famicom)
- Super Mario Kart (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Yoshi (Famicom/NES, GB) The player controls Mario or Luigi
- Mario Paint (SNES)
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
- Mario Is Missing! (PC, SNES, and NES) Mario is captured by an unidentified green Koopa-like creature
- Mario's Time Machine (SNES)
- Mario and Wario (Super Famicom)
- Super Mario All-Stars (Super Famicom/SNES) - in Japan "Super Mario Collection" -
- Yoshi's Cookie (NES, SNES, Super Famicon and GB)
- Mario's Early Years! Fun with Letters (SNES)
- Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers (SNES)
- Mario's Early Years! Preschool Fun (SNES)
- Yoshi's Safari (SNES/Super Famicon) Yoshi's Partner
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) Mario and Peach were featured as "outside" characters to this classic
- Donkey Kong '94 (GB)
- Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB) Mario makes a very small cameo at the end
- Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES)
- Super Mario All-Stars & World(Super Famicom/SNES)
- Mario's Time Machine (NES)
- Hotel Mario (CD-i)
- Mario's Tennis (VB)
- Mario Clash (VB)
- Mario's Picross (GB)
- Mario's Super Picross (Super Famicom) - Japan only.
- Undake 30 Same Game (Super Famicom Satellaview) - Japan only.
- Mario Excite Bike (Super Famicom Satellaview) - Japan only -
- BS Dr. Mario (Super Famicom Satellaview) - Japan only -
- BS Super Mario Bros 3(Super Famicom Satellaview) - Japan only -
- Mario's Game Gallery (PC)
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
- Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super Famicom/SNES)
- Super Mario 64 (N64)
- Mario's Picross 2 (GB) - Japan only.
- Kirby Super Star (SNES) - Mario is found at the Magaton Punch arena.
- Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
- Game & Watch Gallery 2 (GB)
- Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- Mario Teaches Typing 2 (PC)
- Mario's FUNdamentals (PC)
- Mario no Photopi (N64) - Japan only.
- Wrecking Crew '98 (Super Famicom) - Japan only.
- Super Mario Bros. DX (GBC)
- Game & Watch Gallery 3 (GBC)
- Mario Golf (GBC, N64)
- Super Smash Bros. (N64)
- Mario Party (N64)
- Mario Tennis (N64)
- Mario Party 2 (N64)
- Mario Tennis (GBC)
- Paper Mario (N64)
- Mario Party 3 (N64)
- Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
- Super Mario Advance (GBA)
- Luigi's Mansion (GC)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
- Dr. Mario 64 (N64)
- Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA)
- Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
- Mario Party 4 (GC)
- Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA)
- Animal Crossing (GC) - included mario Bros. mini game
- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (GBA)
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
- Mario Party 5 (GC)
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC)
- Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
- Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
- Nintendo Puzzle Collection (GC) - Japan only - Dr. Mario is a game in the collection
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour (GBA)
- Super Mario Bros. (Classic NES Series) (GBA)
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GC)
- Mario Pinball Land (GBA)
- Dr. Mario (Classic NES Series) (GBA)
- Mario Power Tennis (GC)
- Super Mario 64 DS (DS)
- Mario Party 6 (GC)
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC) Mario made a cameo appearance as a statue on top of Otacon's file cabinet.
- Wrecking Crew (GBA)
- Mario Party Advance (GBA)
- Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (GBA)
- Mario Superstar Baseball (GC)
- Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix (GC)
- Super Princess Peach (DS)
- Mario Party 7 (GC) -
- Mario Kart DS (DS)
- Mario Tennis: Power Tour (GBA)
- Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
- Super Mario Strikers (GC)
- Mario Kart Arcade GP (Arcade)
- Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (GBA)
- NBA Street V3 (GC) Nintendo All Stars Team
- SSX On Tour (GC) Mario is a playable snowboarder
- Yoshi Touch and Go (DS)
- Super Mario 64 DS (DS)
- New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
- Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (DS)
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis ( DS)
- Yoshi's Island 2 (DS)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
- Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
- Mario Strikers Charged (Wii)
- Super Paper Mario (Wii)
- Mario Party 8 (Wii)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
- New Super Mario 3D Land
Related ThreadsIs it better than Mario Kart? - last post by @ Aug 9, 2008
help on the old mario - last post by @ Apr 28, 2007
Donkey Kong Racing or Mario Kart - last post by @ Jun 15, 2003
mario vs dk friend codes - last post @ Oct 16, 2011
Mario vs dk minis march again - last post @ Jul 15, 2009